Thursday, May 30, 2013

It's Music to My Ears...And for My Soul!

This is my Father!s world, And to my listening ears
all nature sings and round me rings The music of the skies.
This is my Father's world:  I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas; His hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father's world, The birds their carols raise
The morning light, the lily white, Declare their maker's praise.
This is my Father's world:  He shines in all that's fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass, He speaks to me everywhere.
-Maltbie Babcock

This hymn was one of my Dad's favorite whistling tunes.  I'd often hear him out at the barn, whistling this or several other hymns.  It was truly music to my ears...to know where he was and that he was happy..... and music to my soul to know that my daddy was secure (and I could be, too) in his Heavenly Father.
Years later, it was music to my ears and soul when my oldest son Kent would sing this song around the house because it was one of his favorites, too.

I'm a gardener and a porch sitter, and at this time of year I'm all about the music God's little creatures, the birds, are making.  I can recognize several by their tunes.  One of the loudest and most enthusiastic singers is also the smallest...a little house wren.  I'm awakened most mornings by birdsong.....much earlier than I would choose to be awake.  I read once that birds sing loudest in the dark, and it seems to be true..right before dawn, they are a veritable chorus!
My world would be a lot quieter without the songs of birds...and a lot less cheerful.  Their songs reminds me of the old gospel, His Eye Is On the Sparrow, and the words go on to remind me that I know He watches me.  That is true music to my soul!

As in the hymn above, there are other sounds of nature that remind me of my Father's love.
The sound the winds make in a pine forest, the rustling of wheat in the fields, honking of geese flying overhead with the season's change, and rain on the roof.
The sounds of giggling children, my AWANA kids singing Jesus Loves Me, the laughter of my Mom and Aunt Sue, and the voices I love to hear in person or on the phone also tell me all is right with my world which means all is well with my soul(another great hymn).

These words written by David in Psalm 40:1-5 are the truest music to my soul.
I waited patiently for The Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
Out of the mud and mire
He set my feet on a rock
And gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God,
Many  will see and fear
And put their trust in The Lord.
 Blessed is the man who makes The Lord his trust,
Who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods.
Many, O Lord my God,
Are the things you planned for us
No one can recount to you;
We're I to speak and tell of them,
They would be too many to declare.

No comments:

Post a Comment