Sunday, September 1, 2013

Service with a Smile .....or "Get me out of my recliner and not be a whiner!"


"Live life comfortably",  is the clever motto of the Lazy Boy furniture company.  I'm telling you, though, that recliner, comfortable as it is, is not your friend.  As much as I enjoy curling up in our recliner with a good book, I know that God did not put me here on earth to be "comfortable".  He wants me to glorify Him.  That is our ultimate purpose, and one way we do that is by serving Him.  Boy, can that be uncomfortable!!!

Paul tells us in Romans 12:1-2
 
"Therefore, I urge you brothers, in view of God's great mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship.  Do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Somehow, offering my body as a living sacrifice does not sound like a life of ease and comfort.  Paul knew something of sacrifice and discomfort, even pain and imprisonment in his quest to serve God and others.  If we are obedient to serve God and others as well, we can kiss our recliners and comfortable lifestyles goodbye for a time.  Someone once told me that the shortest line anywhere is in the line to serve. We all want to be served, but very few of us want to serve others. This means we need to change our minds, like in the verse above, to not think of ourselves first, but of doing for others instead. As contrary to our culture as that is, you can never out give God.  Serve God, it pays..in all kinds of ways.  You may not receive a lot of appreciation from others, though.
One of my favorite cards shows Jesus with the crowds on the hill behind him, having just received the loaves and fishes that He blessed and multiplied to feed everyone.  In this cartoon card version, you see people starting to complain...."could I have some blackened fish instead?", and "I need gluten free bread"...  Jesus is smiling whereas I would be bent out of shape because people were not properly appreciative of what I had done for them.  Service with a smile is not always one of my strong suits.

I have good intentions and even follow through sometimes and have received the blessing of being able to supply a need in someone's life, letting God love them through me. It is with a profound sense of gratitude that you realize God let you have a part in His provision for someone else...the answer to someone's prayer!

Too many times, though, it has been with mumbling, dragging of feet and an "oh, poor me" attitude that may be obedience, but certainly is not with a glad, trusting heart..nor a smile.
And then...God puts someone in my life at just the right moment to supply one of my needs or to give me fresh courage, or encouragement, which was just what I desperately needed to keep pushing on.
How can I begrudge being "the hands and feet" of Jesus when I know full well the difference a person can make when they show me His love?

There are many ways to serve others and Jesus.  He tells us that whatever we do "for the least of these", people who need His love the most, it is like doing those things for Him.
I read an article many years ago in VIRTUE magazine called, Ways you can reach the world for Christ without ever leaving your Home. As a mom with little children in a small town, it got my attention as I felt my options to serve God were somewhat limited.  This was an eye opener. though and put an end to a lot of my excuses. We can all:

Go..visit others who need a friend, some cheering up
Call or email someone who comes to our mind with a word of thanks or encouragement
Cook or Bake food for those needing a meal--some organized types keep a meal or casserole in the freezer just for this purpose..some church groups make this a ministry and stock the church freezer with meals
Walk around town and get your exercise as well as pray for people in homes you pass, your town, the schools, etc.
Give--your time to volunteering in some ministry or give your money, or give out of our excess--
  extra clothes, books, knickknacks, can be donated to Goodwill or the Salvation Army to bless others. I read recently of a lady who is purging her home of excess by getting rid of 10 things a day.  Think of the extra room and time we'd gain!
Clean someone's house or your teen's room after a tough week.  A friend and I cleaned closets at our church this summer in order to gain space and do an inventory.  We found lots of items we can use and save money by using what we have and giving extra materials away to a ministry in Belize!
Grow flowers or vegetables to give to others.  Some people donate extra produce to their food bank, or give flowers to nursing homes for patients.
"Mother" some other children besides your own.  As a teacher, I can tell you that we have lots of chldren who could use some extra time and attention and a big thank you to those Mamas who find room in their hearts and "nests" to take in those children who don't have homes.  You can change a child's life for eternity! Besides adoption or foster parenting, or just informal mothering of kids, you can support children with organizations like Compassion.  We have children we have sponsored in this way, but I need to spend more time writing to them and assuring them of God's love.
Drive those who can't take themselves to appointments or the store.
Sew-help others with mending, or make quilts for others.  I have some friends who use their extra fabric to make simple shift style dresses for little girls in Africa
Pray, which is the most important of all.  Become a prayer warrior.  I have been prompted many, many times to pray for even strangers I meet, even when I don't know their circumstances.  You never know how our prayers may be answered or what a difference they can make, but I know God listens and answers.
You get the idea..whatever God has given us, whatever resources or talents and gifts, someone has need of them.  We need to be more responsive to God's nudges to serve instead of making excuses as we relax in our recliners!

Having listed some ways to serve, however, I have a caution.  In her book, Never Say Never, one of author Lisa Wingate's characters is struggling with doing what she knows she needs to do as
God's direction, but hesitates because she already has her "plate full".  She makes the observation that, "the biggest enemy of havin' our hands ready for God's work is having them full up with other things already."  Too, too true.  We may need to scrape a few things off our plate.(A good rule for life and church potluck dinners!)

So, leave some room on your plate..don't have it so full there's not room for God to add something He really needs you to do. We all have things we're more passionate about and are more able to do...God made us this way for a reason.  Sometimes, however, He may call us out of our comfort zone to lean on Him to do what needs to be done. It really is fine to have some recliner time, too...re-charge before your next opportunity to serve.

Out of love, let us serve one another and throw in a smile and prayer for good measure.




3 comments:

  1. Great ideas for serving, Suzanne. I'll keep working on that "too full plate" part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Suzanne! This was a very thought-provoking read, just what I need as I start a new school year--with a full plate....Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reminders, Suzanne! I have had too much recliner time lately with my broken leg & sprained ankle, but I have been blessed by people who were willing to serve God by serving my family and me... including yourself... and I am pretty sure you were wearing a smile when you came over bearing books, movies, and chocolate! :) Thank you, friend!

    ReplyDelete