Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Brownies, Friends,and Cattle Prods

Your Girl Scout leader was right. Remember as a Brownie Scout singing this song?
"Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold."
God created and values friendship. Thinking about this theme reminded me of the many ways my friends, old and new, bless my life.



Old Friends:
Think back to childhood friends--my friend Robin was my best friend in Wellington, Kansas from Kindergarden to 8th grade, when my family moved. We walked to school together, sang in children's choir, acted out Nancy Drew mysteries, and had our first sleep overs. My high school 4-H friends and I attended events and encouraged each other. To this day, I can not eat lemon drops (the candy) without being back in the Kansas State Fair Encampment building with my friend Sherri, eating lemon drops in our sleeping bags before getting up early to wash her heifer for the fair, or do our judging event. (The lemon drops usually stuck to our sleeping bags) My college roommate, Joyce, got me in the habit of reading my Bible daily and shared adventures on campus and intramural sports. She also liked to sleep a lot more and even nap, which prepared me for life with my future husband!
All of these friends and more left an influence on my life, or taught me some life lessons.


New Friends:
Most of my "adult" friends have been at the schools where I teach or at my church. These ladies have helped me weather some of life's best and worst moments,-- disappointments and joys.
You never know when you'll find a new friend, even if it is only for a few moments.
I just returned from vacation with my best friends...my husband, two sons and daughter-in-law. After one week and 2400 miles together, I think we are still friends. While in Door County, Wisconsin I met some great new friends. I believe God puts people in our lives for a reason and no meeting is by chance. If you've read the Anne of Green Gables books by Lucy Maud Montgomery, you know Anne sees everyone as a potential "kindred spirit". I am an out-going person, so will talk to almost anyone. Because of this, I get to know a lot of "kindred spirits".
While shopping at an art store, I talked to Karen who was a recent widow. She told me how her friends had let her down a bit by not including her much in their activities anymore. I am really guilty of letting my friends down sometimes and talking to her let me see again how our actions--or lack of them--hurt others. We talked about reinventing one's life with God's help and I learned a lot from her about carrying on. I met another lady at the beach. We were in water up to our shoulders and I had admired her hair. She was probably in her late 70's and wore her blonde hair up in a carefully styled top knot . She was of Polish origin and told me about her life and how she loved to be in the cool water. She gave me tips about spots to visit and I was encouraged by her joy of life and that we could still be "beach babes" for a long time!
I met other great ladies while engaged in "charitable spending". I believe if I'm going to spend money, I should spend it where it will do the most good. Rebekah, my wonderful daughter-in-law, and I love to go thrift store shopping. We found some great bargains and souvenirs and some shops benefitting an Alzheimer's unit and the Developmentally Disabled. We also went to a church's Cherry Festival, a bratwurst dinner and baked cherry goods. I visited with the church ladies and congratulated them on a good job--the money raised was going for missions.
Each of those encounters has enriched my life, and given me new people to add to my prayer list.
One of my favorite "kindred spirits" encounters occurred when I drove our church kids to camp. Upon arrival, we found that one of the girls, who was very shy, was to be separated from our group to room with high school girls who were complete strangers. The girl was very distressed by this, and I asked the lady in charge if we could make an exception. Of course, this lady was very busy with registration and didn't think my request was necessary. Another lady standing there caught my eye. We walked away together and decided to move a bunk from one cabin to another so this girl could be with her friends. (I just couldn't leave her there as upset as she was.)



I don't even think that other lady and I exchanged names, but we agreed that sometimes the rules needed to be "modified". I have a great memory of us, two grown church ladies, tippy toeing across the camp grounds carrying a bunk bed. Much to our relief, we were not stopped or questioned, and our miission was accomplished.



So...I've covered the Brownie part of the title with the song, the friend part, and now for the "cattle prod".
Our county fair just happened and the kids showing their cattle or other animals use a small stick to poke or prod their animals to stand so that their best features will be seen. They also use the cattle prod to tap the animal on one side or another to guide it to go where it should go. If you really want an animal to get moving in a hurry, such as a horse, you use spurs.
One of my favorite Bible verses I used with my kids also reminds me what I can do with my friends:


"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you seee the Day approaching." Hebrews 10:24-25, NIV


We need our friends to prod us and spur us to use our best gifts and to get moving for God!! A good friend sees things in us that we often don't see in ourselves and can prod us to move in the right direction. (I just got to be with my sisters-in-law who affirm and encourage me--we all need that!!)



Being a "Martha" type, not only do I treasure good times with my friends, but also times that we can accomplish something for God and to help others.


Here are some ideas of practical and fun things you can do with friends to show God's love for others.
* Have a prayer group. I had several ladies over for these this summer..we tried iced coffee at our last one.
* Volunteer together. Choose a worthy cause and sign up to help. Sometimes we need the "encouragement" of someone else to do what we know we need to do!
* Make your own mission--whether cooking for people and keeping meals in the church freezer for those who need them, cleaning, organizing, shopping for others, planning child care, etc. We all have lots of people who need a hand around us--get your friends together and choose to bless someone!
*School will be starting soon. Get together with friends and go thrift store shopping, or trade items from your kids' closets for back to school outfits.
*Make your own support group to poke, prod or spur you on to accomplish something--cleaning out closets, exercising, improving eating habits, working on a bad habit, praying more.
*Meet your friends for a prayer walk--get your fresh air and exercise while you pray for your town as you walk. Good for your health, too!


Thank God for old friends, new friends and kindred spirits. Pray for those He puts in your life. Get your friends together and have brownies , then spur or prod each other on to good works!

4 comments:

  1. As a farm wife, I appreciated the cattle prod analogy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to call some friends for one of those prayer walks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciated your thoughts this month. Thanks for sharing. Keva

    ReplyDelete