Friday, October 1, 2010

Set Your Course for Adventure!

My husband just returned home from a week backpacking in the Ansel Adams Wilderness near Yosemite National Park. A highlight was rappelling down a 200 foot cliff-gasp! The group he was with calls themselves "Men in Midlife". (they leave off "crisis", as in "midlife crisis") Every two years,these guys from a church in Wisconsin and some others challenge themselves with an adventure along with a time of devotions and Bible study. My role in this deal was to be sure Don had the right supplies and to be his training buddy sometimes--only I wouldn't carry the 50lb. pack! He came back with a bit of a sunburn, scraped fingers and legs from rock climbing,some soreness,some great memories--and sleep deprivation. He is very glad he went--but he wasn't sure that if he'd known what he would be doing he would have signed up for this experience.

Isn't that the way for all of us? If we knew what all was in store for us in this adventure of life, we might not sign up!! Our theme is Changing Seasons of Life--especially a woman's life. Ouch. As a fairly new,and often reluctant,empty-nester this is not a topic I really want to talk about. But I do talk about it--to my other friends who are also struggling with the empty nest thing. Mostly, we feel like "has-beens". What do we do now? Does anyone still need us? (Actually,yes--our husbands and even kids still do)

I remember as a young mom with 3 kiddos ages 6 and under shopping at our local grocery store. I was trying to keep 2 kids in the shopping cart, in the exact middle of the aisle,out of arm reach of the items on each side. A sweet older lady came up to me, patted me on the arm,and said,"Honey,these are the best days of your life." I remember thinking--"great,I never sleep the whole night,the kids just got over the flu, and these are the best days?" Actually,I had the strong feeling that she was right. There are days I still think that!

To all you young moms--I know the days can be really, really long sometimes--but the thing is, the years are so short!! Try to freeze some of those precious moments in your mind--when your kids are so adorable and cute, you're just too busy to really focus on and enjoy them sometimes.

When my three were so small,our joke here was that I could do whatever I wanted as long as I took all 3 kids with me and had supper on the table at 6:oop.m. (Not really--my husband didn't mind much if supper was late)There was a time when I lamented that I would never get out of the house by myself again. Now I lament that there's no one here!!

So,what's a woman to do? Finding our way through the ages and stages of life is not for the timid. To be honest, I'm not quite resolved to my stage of life. I find myself crying at the oddest times--driving by our county fairgrounds, remembering all the fairs when my kids were in 4-H.(Sometimes I cried trying to get ready for the fair, but that's beside the point) Mom's walking their kids home from school also triggers regret that is isn't me walking my kids.

Here's what I keep reminding myself: God still has plans for me in this season of my life. He gives me a future and a hope. He will bring those things that will give meaning and purpose to my life.

Because of my husband's experience,I've been using that kind of self-talk. It's time to pack up my tent from the valley of "oh,poor me" and head for higher ground--to set my course for adventure! (Did you see the movie, UP?I love that line )

I am not planning a back country trip to rapell down a cliff--but,I have been working on pushing myself into some smaller adventures,and saying yes to God is the biggest adventure of all!
As my sons and their friends say,"If you're not living on the edge, you're just taking up space."

Whatever your age or stage, you need some adventure,too. Sometimes our fears keep us from venturing out of our comfort zone,and sometimes our self-images do. We think,"Oh,I could never do that..." When in fact actually we can--Philippians 4;13 tells us we can do anything through Jesus Christ who strengthens us.

One of my favorite magazines is a Christian one called, life:beautiful (Faith for your journey--www.lifebeautifulmagazine.com) In a recent article by Wanda Ventling and Allan Edeker, they say:

"Jesus uses adventure to confront who we are and make us who we are to be...God's adventures are personal, purposeful and productive."

They go on to give us some examples of adventures we can "rightsize" for ourselves--
volunteer in an inner city,chaperone a youth group trip,volunteer at a soup kitchen, sponsor a child, be a big sister,try out for a community band or play,take a day long hike or bike ride, share your faith with a friend or co-worker, go canoeing or whitewater rafting,go on a mission trip to a different city or abroad, start your own business,climb a mountain,run for an office,help build a home or clinic,confront abuse, injustice or gossip in your community, mend broken relationships, travel overseas, enter a contest,take a class,and the biggie--tell God, "Here I am, send me"--and mean it!

A popular book uses the term, "life bucket list". You're supposed to list some things you'd like to do/see in your life. Start a list--but remember to ask God what dreams He has for you,too! Anything that pushes you out of your comfort zone to rely on God is an adventure. And as my husband found out, we might not sign up if we knew what we'd be doing--but afterwards,we'll be glad we did!

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity,but a spirit of power,of love and of self-discipline. -II Timothy 1;7

Home Base
In between adventures, we all need to return to home base to recharge and regroup. Fall is the season to "cozy up" your home--bring in the smells,colors,and tastes of autumn. Heat some spiced cider,bake some pumpkin cookies or pumpkin bread,decorate with leaves,nuts and pumpkins,add some candles and afghans for a cozy feeling.

Be equipped for adventure--now is the time to trade out summer clothes from your closets and drawers,and move the fall ones up. Be sure everyone has jackets accessible. Give away clothes you no longer wear or need. I'm a substitute teacher (talk about adventure!) and I organize my closet for quick choices--I have a few basic pairs of pants and several tops I hang together by color. I put the jewelry that would work with each outfit in a ziplock bag on the hanger. This does save time getting out the door.

Mundane but important--to keep your home base really cozy, have your furnace checked and change your furnace filters.

Fall Cleaning--if you do some now,you'll be in better shape for the holidays.(in both ways--cleaning is good exercise and your house will look better,too) Start at the top and work down--Wash windows, use a broom with a tea towel over it to dust ceilings,clean walls of smudges, clean/polish furniture,and vacuum/mop floors.

Not only will you be in better shape,but a recent study has found that visual clutter can cause migraines in some people. Another good reason to clear out!Besides, we're busy having adventures--who has time to dust extra,unneeded stuff?

On the book shelf: One of my favorite ways to have an adventure is in a good book.I'm recommending three I've read recently that will provide you with all the adventure you can handle!

The Forgotten God by Francis Chan, teaches us about the power of the Holy Spirit. Having radical faith can make your life an adventure,and several examples are given.
Dangerous Surrender, by Kay Warren, shows us what happens when you say yes to God. Kay's heart was broken by the AIDS epidemic in Africa and she began an on-going adventure to help alleviate the suffering of the children.
In a Heartbeat, by Sean and Leigh Ann Toughey, tells of their adventure in radical giving. This is the couple who adopted Michael Oher. The movie Blindside was based on their story, They practiced giving to kids long before this event,however,and it changed lives.

Whatever your age or stage,set your course for some adventure with God!!
Cozy up your home and enjoy Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment